Dr. Helpenstell attended Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa graduating with a Bachelor of Arts Degree. He received his Medical Degree from the University Of Washington School Of Medicine and was certified as a Diplomat with the National Board of Medical Examiners. His internship was spent at Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle, Washington and his residency at University of New Mexico Hospitals in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Dr. Helpenstell completed two fellowships, one in sports medicine at the Orthopaedic and Fracture Clinic in Eugene, Oregon and the second, a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery at Harborview Medical Center / University Hospital, Seattle, Washington.
Dr. Helpenstell received certification from the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery in 1994 and practiced as an orthopaedic surgeon at Orthopedic Associates, Inc. PS in Seattle and at Memorial Clinic in Olympia prior to joining Olympia Orthopaedic Associates in July of 2001.
Dr. Helpenstell has lived and worked in Olympia since 1994. He enjoys the outdoors and spends most of his time running, biking, swimming, kayaking, mountain climbing, skiing and doing triathlons.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts: Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA
- Rotating Internship: Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: Orthopaedic and Fracture Clinic, Eugene, OR
- Foot and Ankle Surgery Fellowship: Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- National Board of Medical Examiners, Diplomate
- Thurston-Mason County Medical Society
- Washington State Medical Association
- Capital Medical Center
- Providence St. Peter Hospital